Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements plus
analgesic/anti-inflammatory medication reduce symptoms of arthritis.
The combination of glucosamine and chondroitin plus anti-inflammatory dietary supplements and herbs may be a good combination in helping relieve the symptoms and indeed the progression of some osteoarthritic conditions without the side-effects of NSAID's
One study that examined data of 600 participants looked at structural changes, cartilage volume, joint space and pain in arthritis of the knee over a two year period.
Using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), to compare the results of supplementary glucosamine and chondroitin sulphates with or without analgesic/anti-inflammatory(NSAID) drugs on certain markers of arthritis disease progression.
The results of this study found significant improvements in some of the joint measurements. Those taking analgesic/anti-inflammatory medication plus glucosamine and chondroitin had significantly reduced loss of cartilage volume at 24 months in the medial central plateau.
Also those who took both anti-inflammatory pain medications plus glucosamine and chondroitin supplements had a mild reduction in disease progression and less pain compared to those who took only pain/anti-inflammatory medications without the supplements.
The authors of the study reported that the analgesic/anti-inflammatory participants who took glucosamine and chondroitin sulphates had a reduced loss of cartilage volume over 24 months in subregions when assessed with MRI, which could not be identified by normal X-rays(1)
This study adds positive data to the complementary medicine approach in the management of osteoarthritic conditions where anti-inflammatory supplements containing omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil, Lyprinol and krill oil) (2)(3) and analgesic /anti-inflammatory herbs including White willow bark are often recommended in combination and been found to have considerable potential in the symptomatic treatment of rheumatic disorders (4)(5).
One Glucosamine Sulfate 1500 daily
Blackmores joint Formula Advanced Glucosamine & Chondroitin with MSM Booster
This formula contains 3 key ingredients which may increase joint mobility and may protect joint cartilage associated with osteoarthritis.
Lyprinol (green lipped muscle) Blackmores two daily
These products are derived from shellfish. Caution is advised for persons allergic to shellfish
1. Johanne Martel-Pelletier, Camille Roubille1 et al. First-line analysis of the effects of treatment on progression of structural changes in knee osteoarthritis over 24 months: data from the osteoarthritis initiative progression cohort , Ann Rheum Dis doi:10.1136/annrheumdis-2013-203906
2. Sheila A. Doggrell, Lyprinol—Is It a Useful Anti-Inflammatory Agent? Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2011; 2011: 307121. Published online 2011 August 11. doi: 10.1093/ecam/nep030
3. Chi-Ho Lee,1 John Hon-Kei Lum et al. Pain Controlling and Cytokine-regulating Effects of Lyprinol, a Lipid Extract of Perna Canaliculus, in a Rat Adjuvant-induced Arthritis Model, Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2009 June; 6(2): 239–245. Published online 2007 September 26. doi: 10.1093/ecam/nem100
4. Ernst E, Chrubasik S. Phyto-anti-inflammatories. A systematic review of randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trials. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2000;26(1):13-27.
5. Schmid B, Ludtke R, Selbmann HK, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of a standardized willow bark extract in patients with osteoarthritis: randomized placebo-controlled, double blind clinical trial.Phytother Res. 2001 Jun;15(4):344-50